Thursday, February 10, 2011

Terremotos!!!

When my soul needs to rest and recharge, where do I go? The beach!!! I'm spending the first week of my month long vacation at the beach in Valparaiso, Chile. I am staying in the home of a friend of a friend. I have my own room, a closet, a desk, a kitchen and bathroom that I share with 2 other women, and lots of places to sit, drink coffee/tea, and read my Bible. What a life!!!


Yesterday, I took the 2 hour bus from Santiago to Valpo. Yes, I came by myself. Yes, I was a bit nervous about not understanding where I was supposed to be. No, I didn't have any problems getting on the correct bus and getting to the beach to meet my friend =D. 


Short funny story: I was asked on a date by the driver of another bus! Hehe I was standing at the terminal just waiting for my bus to get there when a not so bad looking Chilean man with a Pullman Bus shirt walked up and asked if I needed help (guess I looked a bit confused). I showed him my ticket to make sure I really was in the right place. He said that I was exactly correct and the bus would be there any minute. He then asked why I was in Chile. This is when I realized that he had ulterior motives and I began fibbing a bit. I said that I was on vacation and leaving as soon as I got back from the beach to go back to the US. He then asked if I'd like to go for coffee or a drink when I got back. Promptly, I said no thank you. He asked if I had a boyfriend. (Again, not being honest) I told him yes. Then, he asked how long we had been together (why someone would ask this, I'm not sure...culture?) I told him 2 years!! Hahahahaha He said good luck and have a great time at the beach and hopped on his bus to leave. What an odd way to leave for vacation!!! 


So, I'm on the bus and a guy sits down next to me. I knew he had to be from the US or the UK, and when he pulled out his English guide book, I knew I was right. We ended up talking much of the trip about where we'd been, his experience teaching English in Santiago, my experience learning Spanish, etc. Then the bus driver began the movie..."Taken". HAHA of course this would play on my first solo excursion in Chile!! Turns out, I knew what I was talking about before seeing the movie: super stupid girls doing super stupid things. Who lets a random guy take them somewhere from the airport and know where exactly they are staying??? You are supposed to make up a random hotel if people try to figure out where you are going...just say the Hilton or something. 


When I arrived in Valpo, my very generous friend, Felipe (the monitor from the camp I helped at in Las Cabras) picked me up and took me to the house I was going to be living at for the week. What a blessing this who situation is!! After dropping off my things, Felipe took me on a tour of his incredible city. We went up into the hills where we explored the shops and restaurants and colorful homes. This city is absolutely filled with color! Many homes are attached, but each will be a different bright color (blue, pink, yellow, green, purple). We then went and enjoyed a lunch at one of his favorite restaurants where there was a small jazz band playing for a little while. I got to have some Chilean ceviche and seafood soup. 


Off we went again to head up to Viña del Mar, Reñaca, and Concon. I got to take incredible pictures of the beach, walk around the small shops and street vendors, and breath in the incredible sea air. What blew me away the most was how similar some of these places are to San Diego!! I kept having to remind myself that I'm not back in Cali as we drove up the coast. I'm so fortunate to have such a great tour guide who is proud to show off his home town!


Last night, at 11pm, I went to sleep. This is the earliest I've been able to go to bed since getting to Chile. Also, I slept until 9:30!! Who knew how important it was to have a place where your heart and soul can be at rest and your mind can actually shut down completely? Well, I intend to have more evenings of good sleep here and to recharge and prepare for all that God has ahead for me. Now, if only the weather would cooperate and give me some time to tan...

When I finally rose from my slumber, I enjoyed walking to the grocery store and buying enough food to eat decently well this week. I definitely intend to make this a habit when I am back home. It's silly how easy it is to acquire so much extra in the pantry and fridge. How often do we have to throw out all of the stuff we don't use that expires? As I put my things away in the fridge, the house began to rock. My heart began to race and I began to pray for protection because I didn't know if it would get stronger or if it would last a long time. Valparaiso is one place in which you can still see so much devastation from the 2008 earthquake. Many homes were completely destroyed as well as restaurants, hotels, and cafe's. Thank goodness, it didn't last or get very strong, but it took me a while to get my hands to stop their subtle shaking. 


Its time now to get out of the house and go for a walk around the port. Fresh air here does me so good after the smog of Santiago. =D I've added more pictures, so here are the links:


Leaving Cali: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2366069&id=24613866&l=8796c99974

Valparaiso, Viña del Mar, Reñaca, y Concon: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2366138&id=24613866&l=0a12d4b614

 My Valpo Home: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2366259&id=24613866&l=7d1181fc74

 Love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment