Sunday, February 20, 2011

Es La Hora de Volver a Santiago

Well, I came back to Santiago for a week and I still have a few days left before I leave for Argentina. Since I last wrote, Valentine's Day came and went, which seems to be my most depressing day of the year every year, but it was even worse to be completely alone without the ability to leave the house after day. I went for a run to the grocery store and tried to avert my eyes from all the couples smothering each other on park benches and street corners. However, the day passed, like it always does and I moved on to the next day which I spent on the beach!

In the morning, seeing the dreary clouds awaiting me outside, I threw my jeans and a warmer shirt on over my bathing suit hoping that it would burn off. After a bit of confusion as to where to find the bus I needed, I finally boarded the bus to Vina del Mar. I had been there once before with my friend, but I was excited to explore a bit more and lay on the beach if the weather warmed up. I got off the bus at one of the most beautiful parks I've seen. Here, I did a short video for my friends and family back at home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_VNJgRUD4). Then, as I walked around taking pictures, (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2367939&id=24613866&l=15f0254def) I was approached by a gypsy woman with her baby trying to get money from me. Just as I finally made her understand that I didn't have any money to give, I was approached by a young man and his girlfriend. He asked me if I spoke Spanish and then told me that I needed to leave the park immediately because there were some men discussing the best way to steal my things. Adhering to his advice, I walked a short distance with them and ducked into a large mall which I enjoyed exploring for a little while. When I finally left the mall and decided that I wanted to find somewhere to sit and people watch and listen to the Spanish, I found myself a dog that I could just not leave behind. After giving her some love and naming her Blondie, she followed me around for the good part of an hour and sat next to me on the bench as I relaxed with an ice cream cone. What a way to spend the day! The clouds finally burned off and the sun came out so I made a bee-line for the sand and struck up a conversation with the 6 year old girl sitting next to me. After I felt that I had sufficiently enjoyed the very crowded beach, I ventured toward the vendors that line approximately half a mile of boardwalk selling just about everything. As the sun began to sink lower towards the horizon, I knew it was time to figure out how to make my way back to Valparaiso, and just as I began to feel flustered and confused, the bus I needed pulled up next to me!!! What a blessing from God! So I made it home safe and enjoyed cooking some dinner for myself and getting my things packed up to head back to Santiago.

Being back in Santiago, is much like being back home after vacation. I am in a place that I know pretty well and don't feel so much like a foreigner (well, kinda). I bought some groceries and have had fun catching up with my host family (who was gracious enough to allow me to come back for the time I am in Santiago). A friend of mine took me to a place called California Cantina here in Santiago for lunch. I had almost forgotten how much I love Mexican food!!! They have a very So-Cal menu with burritos, burgers, tacos, and much more. I figure that burrito will hold me over until I find my way back home =D.

On Tuesday, Cat and I will be taking a night bus (8 hours) to Mendoza which arrives before the sun comes up. We'll explore the city and probably do a bike tour during the day. Wednesday night, I will take another night bus (13 hours) to Buenos Aires. Here I will be staying with the sister of a good friend from back home. I am very excited for this upcoming leg of my trip for so many reasons. First, I can't wait to explore and experience a new culture. The people are different, the architecture is different, and even the Spanish is different. Second, I am thrilled to be staying with a Christian woman. I have not come across many believers, especially ones that really walk with Christ. In B.A. I will have the opportunity for fellowship and encouragement between believers. Third, I'm hoping to learn the Tango! I have still yet to learn Salsa or Merengue, but I have high hopes that I will eventually be afforded that chance.

I will be returning to Santiago on March 5th to begin training for the teaching part of this excursion. At this point, I still do not know where I will be going to teach, but I trust that God is preparing me, the family I will be living with, and my future students. I pray for them often and ask that I am able to help them in any way I can. When I do begin teaching, I am supposed to do 10 hours per week of extracurricular work (i.e. helping in a club, ???) I'm not exactly sure what this will entail or what I'll be doing, but I'm excited about the possibilities.

 Well, as always, thank you for taking the time to read about this adventure and thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts. I miss you guys and you're all in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Abrazos y Besos! (hugs & kisses)

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey,

    We love reading about your adventures. It has been a long time since we traveled in South America. Please be careful in Buenos Aires. In the main street of town, broad daylight, someone cut through my shoulder bag of three layers of denim. I didn't realize it had been done until a few minutes later. Everything else there was wonderful though. If you can afford it, take the hydrofoil across to Uruguay. Not much there but real charming. You are in our prayers. Bob and Sandy Rice

    ReplyDelete