Sunday, February 13, 2011

Keeping Up a Tan in February

These past few days have been pretty interesting indeed! On Friday, I was invited to a bbq at a friend of a friend's place to celebrate a house warming. There were 7 of us (me and 6 Chilean English teachers) on the top of a 20 floor apartment building with a pool where you can see out to all of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. The view was spectacular! Just as we're enjoying a bit of an appetizer, the building began to sway. The earthquake continued and got a little bit stronger with time. When it finally stopped and all settled down again, we all attempted to pretend nothing happened. It wasn't until much later that night when a few of us sat around and discussed the tragedy of the February 2010 earthquake that rocked much of Chile and destroyed a number of homes and lives. For the time being however, we put it out of our minds and enjoyed great food, great company, and great views.

Saturday began by putting on a bathing suit, a t shirt, and shorts, grabbing my towel, ipod, and book, and heading to the park to soak up the sun. I absolutely love weekends down here because everything truly slows down (especially when you're out of Santiago). After spending around 30 minutes walking through the street fair and seeing all of the trinkets and toys to buy, I made my way to the sunny patch in the park where I could enjoy some people watching and reading. I wish I had a dollar for every child that stopped and stared at me as they passed! Of course, I just smiled and waved (which seemed to confuse them more). After an hour or so, I resumed my walking around the city in attempts to find hidden gems...oh did I find them!! I found random stores tucked into allies, a spiral walkway with around 50 hair salons and an arcade at the bottom, the first tattoo parlors I've seen in Chile, and stores that I would compare to Ross or Marshals. What a way to live!! The only things I ended up buy all day were a small stand up mirror, a pocket notebook, and a mini empanada on my way home. The possibilities were endless, though! After arriving home, I decided to make some mac & cheese and pop in "The Breakup" with Spanish subtitles to try to learn some new Spanish words.

Sunday (today) has been the rejuvinating day that I needed. I woke up and began my day with my devotional but still wanted more substance. The Rock's website was exactly what I was looking for! First, I watched last weeks sermon and took notes as though I was there. What a great sermon, too, about how sometimes, God is waiting on us to obey before answering our prayers. Next, I stumbled across the option to watch the service live. So, I waited until it was 1pm here and enjoyed worship with Stephanie and the Rock Church and Miles' sermon about 6 characteristics of God. As my soul was fed, I also enjoyed online fellowship with others that were watching the service from afar because they weren't in San Diego. Thank God for meeting all of our needs in the perfect way and perfect timing. I pray that even if I am placed in a city without a church, I can at least meet other Christians and we can watch it together and have our own satellite church!

God is so good and I'm marveling daily in His greatness and love.

Pictures from my walk: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2366686&id=24613866&l=9843defe2a

4 comments:

  1. its funny to me how things slow down on the weekend there but our weekends always seem so jam packed! Glad you are able to relax and enjoy God

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in that floor jajaja the earthquake was heavy.... nice to meet you Lindsey you are very nice I hope you are fine, take care!! bye!!

    Gino Muñoz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana: you are very right. I hope my priorities stay balanced when I get home. You learn alot of things you want to change when you're away.

    Gino: es la verdad!!! muy fuerte! Mucho gusto tambien. =D gracias por tu amistad. Chao chao!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the same time, weekends when you're on vacation aren't the same as weekends when you aren't.

    ReplyDelete