Thursday, January 6, 2011

They almost kept me in Lima


1.6.2011               10:12AM
I have arrived safely in Lima, Peru. After saying my last very tearful goodbye (except for my parents) and repacking two of my bags (not planned), I enjoyed luxury of having plenty of time to spare before my flight. Spending those last sweet moments with my parents was so special. A few last calls were made as I waited for the plane to arrive, and it was weird to think about all of the things that would be happening while I’m gone. I try not to think about it as things I’m missing because that just makes me really sad.
The flight here was nothing much to talk about. I ended up sitting next to a really nice lady who is visiting Machupichu with her husband. Sleeping proved more difficult than I had hoped, but I was able to doze for a few hours (I definitely look forward to sleeping in a bed this evening. Due to the oh-so-comfortable sleeping position, my feet swelled and barely squeezed back into my boots. As I woke up, they were serving breakfast which I watched as I peered out my window in awe of the majestic Andes Mountains. What a great God we have with such an incredible imagination. That He would give me the opportunity to see such beauty is a magnificent gift.
One small hiccup was when they almost didn’t let me get onto my flight from Lima to Santiago because I don’t have a return flight or a Visa. Thank the Lord I had printed off my confirmation for the program!!
It is finally beginning to set in that I have left everything I know at home. Everyone looks at me funny here and I’m still in the airport. Maybe the blonde hair was a bad idea? I have no idea what to expect in these next 7 months. I have made commitments to myself and God about being purposeful in learning to love others, seek Christ’s approval above all else, and to pursue growth both emotionally and spiritually. Many people asked what I am most excited about in this trip and I have decided that I am most excited about discovering what God’s purpose is for me in Chile. I know that he will teach me and challenge me in new ways that will stretch and test my faith, but as long as I keep my eyes focused on Him and His will for my life, I will continue to become the woman He has already planned for me to be.
I wish I had internet here in the airport so I could show someone on skype how empty it is compared to LAX or the San Diego airport. I’m working on my Spanish as I look at the signs, but feeling like a fish out of water. I really hope that I pick up quickly and learn to listen as quickly as everyone speaks!
I’m missing everyone already, but I am comforted by the fact that I am exactly where God wants me. I hope I am able to post this soon, but if not, I will just have to post multiple blogs at once.

1 comment:

  1. you are incredible! I am so comforted in the fact the we do serve an amazing God. Thank you for the reminder! i love you and pray for you!

    ReplyDelete