Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Personal Little House on the Prairie

What does it mean to be a teacher? I’m learning that it means much more than I ever thought before. Let me back up to arriving in my new home: Osorno, Chile. After another long night on the bus, we arrived in Osorno. As we stepped off, I saw a family with a sign saying “Welcome to Osorno” and a bouquet of flowers. I recognized that they were probably there for someone in the program, but there were four of us so I didn’t think they’d be my new family. Well…they were!!! My dad, Luis looks very German (as he has German roots). My mom, Teresa is originally from Santiago but has definitely adapted to the generosity and beauty of the southern culture. Their daughter, Yennifer (pronounced “Jennifer”) is one of the sweetest young girls I’ve ever met. She’s in 9th grade and is very patient with me as I struggle through my Spanish. Their niece, Natalia is also living with them. She’s 20 and I am so thankful for her. She’s not fluent, but she has a pretty good grasp of English and loves using what she knows and learning new things. We really clicked immediately and have spent a lot of time getting to know each other. After getting all of my things in the cars (smart of them to bring two seeing as how I had two massive bags and my backpack), we headed toward the house. 

After just a short 10 minute drive, we were out of the city and surrounded by green on all sides. We turned down a dirt road off the high way and wound our way to what will be my home until the end of July. I’m certain that my jaw dropped with grateful surprise as I was reminded of “The Little House on the Prairie”. They led me in and showed me my room (yes, my room!!! I actually got to unpack and put away my suitcases!) After a tour of the beautiful home that reminded me of a nice cabin in Hume Lake, I began to unpack my things. I happened to look out the back door of my bedroom and found myself face to face with a cow with only about 4 feet separating us. I couldn’t stop myself from laughing out loud!!
When my new room was set up, I went for a walk with Yenny (Jenny) and Nati out the back of the house. It was at this point that I really realized how much in the countryside I was. We hiked a mud path up to a large field filled with cows. It was so incredibly beautiful and I felt like I was in a great dream. On the way back we took a detour to see the river that flows nearby. They told me that the water is usually much higher and stronger but it hasn’t rained as much yet. For lunch, my mom made a delicious creamy soup of corn, carrots, lima beans, and lots of other delicious items. After, I took a quick shower and put on lots of clothes in order to stay warm. As I brushed the tangles out of my hair, my mom walked in and informed me that my head teacher was there to meet me and talk about classes! I felt like I would die of embarrassment, knowing that I had no makeup on and my hair was soaked. Also, I was still wearing my slippers and couldn’t find my socks or shoes!!! I was super nervous about meeting him, not only because I was super discheveled, but I also didn’t know anything about him or his level of English. Boy was I surprised and thankful to find out that he’s completely fluent and super nice! Alexis not only has a great grasp of the language, but he truly loves teaching and his students. We spoke a bit about the program and about our lives. He had brought his 4 year old son with him so I asked him a few questions in my elementary Spanish as well. Afterwards, Alexis took me to the school where I would begin teaching and to see a little bit of the city. In our question and answer time, we passed a church and I got really excited. Come to find out that he is Mormon and totally understands the importance of finding a church wherever you are and getting involved. He took me to a Christian church that he knew about and introduced me to some of the people there. Not knowing my schedule, I told them that I would try to come back some Sunday very soon. Alexis then took me to meet his wife and several of his friends as they had just gotten out of a meeting at his church. I was fed empanadas and cake and greeted by more people than I can remember. I was invited to go out with them and come to their homes for dinner. It was just crazy to me because I had done nothing to earn their love or their interest or admiration, yet they gave it freely and without presumption. In the States, I feel it’s often the opposite: prove to me why I should care about you and that you worth my time. 

Sunday was a fantastic day: sleeping in, going to the beach, and church! First, you know that feeling of being so cozy and warm because you are nestled inside of a cocoon of blankets and the cold air outside of this cocoon is anything but inviting? What an incredible way to wake up on a lazy Sunday morning. After finally rolling out of bed, I was served coffee and toast with homemade blackberry, strawberry, and plum jellies!! Talk about heaven on earth! Then my family asked if I’d like to go on a trip to the beach to see their beach home and where they spend most of the summer. Of course, I said yes! So we took a beautiful (windy) drive to the beach where we had lunch at a quaint restaurant with more fish options than my grandpa’s cookbook (ok, not exactly possible, but all they had was fish =D). After lunch, Nati and Itold a nice long walk down the highway to the river to get our blood flowing and warm up. Then we all hopped back in the car and drove back home to get ready for church. Even though I didn’t understand much of the sermon, it felt so good to be back with other believers. I’m not sure yet of their theology, but they use the Spanish version of the NIV bible which is what I have in English so I was able to follow along with that. After the service, we enjoyed a coffee time with several other members and they all had several questions. Thankfully, people ask many of the same questions so I’m really fluent with those answers ;-) 

6:30 am came way too early on Monday, but as soon as I woke up, I began to feel excited for my first day at school. The day was filled with greetings and introductions and trying to remember peoples’ names and trying to stay decently warm (the most difficult thing to do). The students were fantastic and I had a great time telling them a little bit about myself and hearing about them. A few of them asked if I knew any famous people or if I lived near any. They seemed so disappointed when I told them no. 

Tuesday was very similar to Monday, but after school, we had a teacher’s meeting. I was surprised to see lots of snacks and a big cake on the table. I thought to myself “I don’t think teachers have meetings like this back in the US.” Turns out, it was a welcome reception for me!! The principle said a few words (using basic Spanish so I understood) and then I was asked to say a few things…I was bright red in the face, but I stood up and told them all how thankful I was for them having me here and how excited I am to get to know them and work alongside them. I was so very touched when they told me that I was now part of their family. From my experience, it’s true what everyone said about the people in the south of Chile being super kind and generous. 

As the week has gone on, I’ve felt so welcome by the students as well as the other teachers and staff here. They are patient with my lack of Spanish proficiency and have told me several times how happy they are to have me here and how thankful they are that I’m not like the last volunteer who didn’t talk much with anyone and was very antisocial. I really feel like part of the group here and I’m loving it!!! This sort of reminds me of the feeling you have when you’re on a sports team and everyone is really close and everybody hangs out during their free time. After working at restaurants with lots of turnover and large staffs (as fun as it was), it’s very refreshing to be a part of a small staff. A few of them have even invited me over to their homes for dinner to try traditional Chilean dishes (most of which are absolutely delicious). 

Alexis (Mister Alexis as the students call him) has used me as leverage these past few days. He happened to hear me sing under my breath and asked if I like singing…well, of course I said yes. So he has been telling the students that if they act appropriately and finish their assignments with time to spare that I’ll sing a song for them. I have to say that since arriving in Chile, I have sung more in front of people than I have in my entire life combined. The go to song for class has been “Over the Rainbow” because it’s one that they know and Alexis really likes. I’m very excited to teach them new music and lyrics when I have my own class. 

Last night, I had the opportunity to skype with my grandma and my cousin, Taylor, and her friend, Kaitlin. It was so hard to say goodbye because I miss my family more than I can say in words, but I loved seeing them and talking to them. Some of my friends probably hate me for not being better at calling, but hopefully when I have a more solid schedule and I get used to the sleeping hours, I’ll be able to make more of those much needed calls!

I’m having a difficult time adjusting to the cold weather after leaving Santiago’s dry heat. However, these next few days are supposed to be pretty warm (relative to the low 50’s of the past few days). I wonder if we will have snow when we get into the middle of winter.

Now that this blog is written, I need to put up the rest of my pictures from Argentina and my new pictures from Osorno! Sorry it’s taking me so long this time…traveling every few days took away my desire to write or be on the computer. Abrazos y Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment